Here’s 4 out of the 5 menus from the Urban Eating League on Sunday for your imaginary culinary pleasure. Enjoy!
Faith, Geoff, and Lindsey’s “Homebrew” Dinner (Hotel Zorba):
1. Skewers of deep-fried sweet potato and apple with a leek walnut cream dressing. Paired with homebrewed kombucha.
2. Stew and a Biscuit – Dried fava and cranberry bean stew (with fennel, celery, onion, leek, and soup stock made from the Divis Market juice booth scraps! garnished with fresh fava puree) with a quinoa flour cornbread slider, stuffed with roasted leeks and fennel. Served with a “mimocha,” a mimosa of kombucha and fresh mandarin juice.
3. Birds Nest Salad – a nest of pea shoots, beet green chiffonade, and home-sprouted alfalfa, topped with mandarin slices, sunflower seeds, and a quail egg. Served with a beet juice cocktail.
4. Beer Tasting with Bar Snacks – a course highlighting two of our homebrews, a hefeweizen and a cinnamon porter. Paired with a snack plate: salty kale chips, spicy gourmet popcorn, sweet roasted mixed nuts, and home-pickled radishes and carrots.
5. Shepherd’s Pie – potato crust, mushroom filling with four kinds of mushrooms (foraged black trumpet, king trumpet, shiitake and cremini). Topped with homemade goat ricotta. Served with a roasted apple chutney (apple, walnut, pistachio, ginger, leek, fennel). Paired with a tasting of the cinnamon porter and hefeweizen.
Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen:
Amuse Bouche (served to all diners in all rounds): Rosemary crackers, Bella Carpa chevre, homemade fig compote and homemade apple bourbon compote.
Butternut squash, shallot and parmesan ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce and pasta crane.
Quinoa flour crepes with a spicy roasted butternut squash, potato, carrot, onion and herb puree.
Cold beet salad with pickled red onions, fennel root, corriander-roasted almonds, Marin Cheese Company Feta, and blood oranges.
Flatbread with kale, preserved lemon peel, Vella Dry Jack Cheese and garlic.
Duo of pizzas:
Rouge et noir brie pizza with pink lady apples and rosemary.
Potato, thyme, beet greens, garlic, Sierra Nevada Jack Cheese pizza with an egg.
House of Love:
African sweet potato groundnut stew over basmati rice
sweet potato*, tomato*, crunchy peanut butter*, carrots*
Organic red quinoa with granny smith butternut squash curry
squash*, carrot*, leeks*, ginger*, granny smith apple*
“ Roots raw ” beet salad with chevre, served on beet greens
raw red and golden beets*, carrots*, ginger*, fuji apples*
Raw California kale slaw with tomatillo-avocado dressing, served with Indian bruschetta and fresh avocado
kale*, baby bok choi*, carrots*, spring onion*
pan-roasted tomatillos*, avocado, cilantro*, chili, lime*
olive bread crouton with Indian tomato chutney and chevre
“South” Indian grilled cheese sandwich with fuji apples
grilled challah and wheat bread, white cheddar, chevre, fuji apples*
slow-cooked tomatoes*, fresh curry leaves, spices
Three Ten Tower of Taste
First Round: Sage butter sweet potato mash on a sage butter toasted crostini, filled with a dollop of goat cheese, drizzled with a beet balsamic reduction and topped with toasted pecans and a toasted sage leaf
Amuse Bouche (served to guests as they entered, except for the first round): A spoon with a dollop of the sweet potato mash, beet balsamic reduction, goat cheese, toasted pecan, and a bit of butter fried sage leaf
Second Round: Quinoa mushroom arugula patty topped with caramelized onion, goat cheese, and sauteed swiss chard
Third Round: Beet towers with chive goat cheese layered between purple and golden beets on top of a bed salad greens sprinkled with maple caramelized pecans, apple & radish slivers and an apple balsamic tahini vinaigrette
Fourth Round: Kale & Swiss chard saag (cottage cheese, coconut milk, spices…) on a toasted pita round
Fifth Round: Apple fava bean falafel in a pita bowl with an apple, cabbage, carrot slaw, garlic feta herb tzatziki, lemon tahini sauce, and a side salad from round 3